Monday, September 17, 2012

Tutu Tutorial

I recently made Blaire a tutu and plan on making several more. Making a tutu is surprisingly easy!

You will need: 
Tulle - From Hobby Lobby or Joanns
Elastic - Hobby Lobby, Joanns, Michaels, or Wal-Mart
Scissors
Sewing Machine or just a needle and thread

It is much easier if you buy it on a spool
Measure the child's waist and subtract 3 inches from that to get the length of the elastic you need to cut. The length of the tulle you will need depends on how long or short you want the tutu to be on your child. However long you want it to be, double that length for the amount you will cut for the tutu because you will be tying it in half. Once you cut your strips, cut them in half so they will be the appropriate width.

The rest of the project will take quite some time (at least an hour), but you can do it sitting in front of the TV, it is so easy. Stretch the elastic over a chair back so the tulle will be close together whenever you are finished. Now, start tying knots (slip knots is what I used) around the elastic using a pattern or random. 




When you are finished, try it on using a safety pin (just to be sure it fits). Then hand sew or use a sewing machine to finished it up!

I went over mine several times, just to be sure!

I also made a shirt to go with my tutu, I simply bought the iron on I wanted, and put it on a long sleeve tshirt that I bought from Wal-Mart.


No comments:

Post a Comment